Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Kendall's Journey | My Messy Beautiful


Christmas morning 2011, my water broke one week early, sending us scurrying to the hospital at 2 am and leaving behind our 2-year-old son with neighbors. Four hours later, as the rest of the world was waking up and opening their gifts, my husband and I delivered ours--Kendall Christine.

She was healthy and we celebrated our Christmas blessing--my heart was full of contentment and happiness only a newborn baby girl could fill. 

Then the next day, a pediatrician came in with the blow. The "birthmark" on the top of Kendall’s head was actually a congenital nevus. Being in mama-heaven, this news didn't faze me at first. Seeing my lack of concern, the pediatrician proceeded to tell me this is a big deal and we need a biopsy to make sure it's not cancerous 

I thought, wait a minute now, don't go throwing that "c" word into things. Life is perfect, can't you see?  Leave us alone. Go away.

But it didn't and it wouldn't. 

For me, pity began 6 weeks later with our first visit to see Dr. Wood, pediatric craniofacial and plastic surgeon. This was a defining moment as we became aware that the nevus threatened her health and needed to be removed. We understood that if Kendall's nevus was not already cancerous, there was a strong likelihood of it becoming so.  

He explained to us the tissue expansion process, which entailed inserting an expander underneath the skin on her scalp and slowly, over the course of many months, injecting this with saline and stretching the skin to a large size. This newly-stretched skin would be used to cover where the nevus was once it was removed.  

Kendall seemed so fragile and I honestly couldn’t wrap my mind around the reality of this process, but Dr. Wood’s experience and confidence put me at ease. He recommended that we begin tissue expansion once she reached 9-months of age, giving her skull some time to harden before inserting the expander. We considered the options and made the decision to proceed--plans for October 15th were underway. 

You could say that preparing for Kendall’s first surgery was much like training for a marathon--a marathon filled with obstacles and hurdles, that is. I knew going into it that I would have to pace myself, that this wasn't a quick sprint and that we needed to find endurance for the long haul. 

I had stayed strong and fought off pity pretty well--right up until the second I laid eyes on my daughter after her surgery. It consumed me in ways that I was not prepared for, yelling at me your daughter looks different, and this isn’t fair!

Those first few days and weeks were painful--painful in ways that I can’t explain or am too embarrassed to tell. Pity told me different wasn’t as good and even different is just plain uglyPeople’s doting words of beautiful quickly turned into looks of concerns and questions. I felt like I was constantly fighting off anger and tears that Kendall had to endure all of this and that we were in this situation.

We had a battle, me and pity. 

When our 2-year-old son saw Kendall for the first time post-surgery, he looked at her with his big-brown saucer eyes in great concern. We explained to him that he could no longer play rough with sister and that she had an "owie" on her head that he couldn't touch. I thought he would be upset or lose interest playing with her.  

He just looked at me and asked, Can I kiss her? 

He didn’t see the bump, or at least not like everyone else did. Our son was free of worldly stereotypes of what makes you accepted or look pretty--to him, sister was perfect.

This was the beginning of a new attitude for me, defining my own views on what beautiful and happiness mean. I was no longer seeking the world’s acceptance or approval because, as my son reminded me, she is already perfect. My perception began to change and over the next month, pity was replaced with confidence--a confidence that told me I was strong, that we were lucky to be in this treatable situation and to take this challenge and to turn it into something positive.  

I gained confidence as I realized the things I once concerned myself with were no longer important. People’s words or reactions no longer mattered to me. I was reminded that I was being strong and bearing the burden for my daughter so she wouldn’t have to. And I realized that this process was a defining time for our family, but that it didn’t define who we are.

The fourth floor of Gillette Children's has been a place of transformation for our family--physically and mentally. Doctors, nurses and other parents look into my child’s eyes and see that she is beautiful. It has been empowering and enabled me to shed my fear of judgment from others, along with judgment from myself.

I have such respect for the children that we see each week and deep admiration for the parents by their side. Whether a child is facing long or short term medical needs, life-changing or life-threatening, I believe what every parent wants is for their child to feel loved and accepted--to know that they can live and thrive through their uniqueness in this world.

I once thought this journey was about crossing the finish line, but now realize it is about deciding to run.

When the day comes, I’m excited to tell her how brave she was through all of this, how she rocked our world that Christmas morning and how she continues to teach us valuable lessons about the important things in life.

I hope that when you look at Kendall, you see past the bump and notice her gorgeous deep blue eyes and pink cabbage patch lips. I hope you see a one-year-old who is on the verge of walking, filled with a passion and determination in everything that she does. Ultimately, I hope you are able to look past the differences and see her through the eyes of a 2-year-old.


February 11, 2013
Walking to the OR for surgery #2

 Post-Op 
Kendall's medical team calls with biopsy results: NO CANCER!
The biopsy also reveals she had both 
congenital and sebaceous nevus, a rare compound nevus.

3 Months Post-Op
Kendall continues to be monitored by Dr. Wood.
The 8" scar line has begun to lighten and is healing well.

 7 Months Post-Op
I mean, amazing!

Christmas 2012/ Christmas 2013

 
ONE YEAR NEVUS FREE!

Embrace your struggles and triumphs,
Carry on, Warriors!


7 comments:

  1. Your daughter is beautiful! Your post made me tear up. I love how little kids' minds are so pure and untainted by the world that they don't view differences the same way we do. I found you through the Messy, Beautiful Warriors Project and am looking forward to submitting my own post for that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible and miraculous story! Thank you for sharing! Justine

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing story - thanks so much for sharing it. Beautiful baby beautiful little girl and your son has a beautiful heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Can I kiss her?" That will stay with me... thank you for sharing the story of your family's remarkable journey... I can sense how rough parts of it have been, but goodness, you were so present... it's beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad I clicked on your story amongst all of the messy beautifuls. . . this brought tears to my eyes. I'm so glad your baby girl is doing well! She she is beautiful! So glad you shared this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is beautiful! My son was also born with a scalp nevus, but was 2/3 of his scalp. His took 4 rounds to remove. Are you a member of nevus outreach and giant nevus removal support group?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! Thank you! My daughter was also born with a Nevus. However, hers covers her back, bum, and right thigh. We too will be using expanders for removal and I fear the mess I will be come that first surgery. However, reading your story, have faith that I, WE will be ok. Our God is an awesome God and he will give me the strength to get through this. There is a light at the end of this very long tunnel. Beautiful little girl!!

    ReplyDelete