Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Week Three


One injection down!

They injected 7 ml of saline this round, but fluid amounts will slowly increase each week. Kendall screamed when they inserted the needle into her port (having more to do with us holding her down tightly), but was quickly back to herself once they were finished.

We have injections booked for the next seven Tuesdays--at which point, Dr. Wood, Tony, and myself will assess how progress is going. The biggest concern is expanding enough to cut out and cover the mole in one procedure and not having to do this all over again--which would not be fun for anyone! Tony often reminds me that it has to get bigger for her to get better. And truly, the bigger the better.

When I asked about the time frame, Dr. Wood told me there is none. I envision myself with boxing gloves, listening to Rocky and chanting ENDURANCE over and over :) 

I can't say enough good things about Gillette Children's--they have made this process smoother and easier in every way possible. We feel really good about everything that is happening and knowing that Kendall is receiving the best care. 

The first time we met with Dr. Wood, he told us a two things: 1. tissue expansion is your only option and 2. 9-10 months is the best age to do it. I know many others struggle with medical decisions of what to do? or when to do it? and for us, much of the "burden" of this with Kendall is lifted off-- knowing that two of the hardest decisions have been made for us. There is no "we should have done this..." or "we should have waited..." 

I'm not gonna lie and say this process is easy for any of us--we are taking it week-by-week. It's a marathon, not a sprint, so I'm reminding myself to take deep breaths and stay strong for the long haul.


No comments:

Post a Comment