Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Week Four


FOUR weeks in and TWO injections down! They put in another 7 ml for a total of 14 ml.

Kendall did GREAT! I had both kids with me by myself this time and they were both awesome. Carter distracted Kendall by blowing bubbles with one of the nurses and she didn't even notice anything was going on! 

Some of you have asked what this process entails, so let me explain...

First, I numb the port with some heavy-duty prescription numbing cream right as we leave for the hospital. The nurse cleans the port, then sticks a rather large needle into it. The needle is connected to a syringe by a long tube that carries the saline. She holds the syringe up like an IV and dispenses small amounts at a time. While she is doing this, the other head nurse is pushing on Kendall expander to see how much it can hold, how it is shaping, and to make sure she can handle the amount of pressure. They usually stop at 5 ml, then say okay one more. Then one more--okay that's good. The amounts will vary and hopefully increase each week. 

The nurse explained that they are creating a pregnant belly on Kendall's head--modern medicine is amazing, yet very strange :) 

I think when challenges arise, we have two options: be bitter or get better. I know that God is teaching me patience and compassion in ways that are making me a better mom and stronger person. And although young, I know Kendall will be tougher having gone through this experience. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment